July 15, 2016

Something I'm Learning

I'm one of the many people that have never had sourdough bread. And from what I'm learning, it's more than just a shame.

I watched 'Cooked' on Netflix last month, so now feel funny about the bread that I've refused to give up when everyone was saying it was bad for you. But for completely different reasons.

The thing that is bread isn't bad, it's how we have come to make it is what we should be changing. But I'm not going to preach about it. I'm adding some of  the information that I've learned to put into my newest story.

But I kinda felt I should let you know why I posted that bit about bread instead of just putting it there and nothing else.

Of course, I find this all out once I'm outside of NYC. The only bakery I've seen in my neck of the woods only had cholate chip cookies. I'm not joking. I saw a bakery last year when I went walking up on Bergen. I went in and asked for bread and the lady day said that she didn't have any. Not that she ran out. Not that she would have some tomorrow. She just didn't have any, but I think she suggested that she might have had some croissants. I think.

I just remember looking around and thinking it was so empty and only seeing some cookies. I may need to go back there to just prove myself wrong and not think so bad of the place. She has a good spot and she was empty on a summer day. I'm sure she is going to say that she needs money to update the building or the outside of the building at least and pay for ingredients that she would need to make more/different things.

I feel like helping, but I need a job too and the kind of help she would need would take a bit and I'm very sure she couldn't help, but I still feel like doing something for the place. I hate to see a bakery just die.

Must be because of where I grew up. There were quite a few bakeries back home. I was even friends with one or two of them and they personally came to our house to drop off bread every week. I honestly miss buying, never mind eating Dollar breads or Ten Cents bread. The name is just how much they cost. The Dollar breads were long. Kinda like baguettes, but no cuts in the crust. The Ten Cents bread would be what Americans would call dinner rolls. They were normally made in sheets and were stuck together. But any person, kids really, would stop by and pay them ten cents and they would pull off one and you would walk home eat hot fresh bread.

That's a good memory for me. I'll see if my friend back home can get me a pic of some. :) Maybe do a little list of St. Kitts breads. :D

Well, that's it. Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment