March 19, 2015

There Was This Fire...

At 5:30 am on Friday, March 13th, we, or at least I, was awoken by banging on our front door. My sister got to the door while I was just trying to understand what was going on. I don't know who it was other than a male, and he said that we had to get out because there was a fire in the building. I didn't want to take long putting on my sneakers, so I put on my house slippers. This was after I tossed on clothes that I had next to my bed, my bag and coat over that along with hat and scarf, oh, and my phone for some reason.
The bill hasn't been paid, so we don't have service. Either way, I go out with one of my sisters and there is smoke in the hallway, and when we get into the lobby, there is water raining down from the ceiling and through the light there making a pool of dirty water between us and the door. So my shoes couldn't help but get wet.
We were told to go all the way out into the street, so we didn't get to see what was going on and were just cold after standing there for about 15 or so mins. I kept my hands in pockets. At least my feet didn't get as cold a I feared, but they were still cold.
We stood next to the new people that moved in on our level and side. We looked around and saw three fire trucks and four ambulances. Two were at each end of our street. The girl we were standing next too, tried twice to find out how much longer it would be before we could go back in since most of us were cold.
She had no luck the first time. The second time she was in luck and got to go back in. But when she came back the first time she said that they were gutting the apt on the second floor and tossing everything out into the courtyard.
About five or so mins after that is when my other sister and my cousin made it out. They were in there the whole time and my niece, stood with us, and even cried at one point because she didn't see her come out, ran to her when she saw her come out.
She then said that they kept them from coming out because they, the firemen, had started to gut the apt and toss stuff out. So they must have started right after we got out. She, this sister, was the one that started to talk to the lady behind us who had luggage with her, when the girl with us went back to find out about going inside.
They found out that it was her apt that the fire came from. When the girl came back and we saw others going in also, we went in too. The sister and cousin stayed and talked to the girl since they weren't as cold as we were. I held on to the fence and looked down as I walked around the water as we went back in. So I didn't really see the courtyard. I think it's odd that I didn't see anything at the time now.
Phillys got dressed and got ready for work. By now it was close to 7 I think, and she had to be at work early that day. I don't know how long I stayed up, but I think I slept late. smile emoticon
It was a good thing mom had already left for work hours before.
Phillys took all the pics for me with her phone cam. smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment