September 16, 2010

A Missing Hour

As if I didn't have enough to deal with today of getting up, ironing Nika's uniform and going through my cramps and getting myself out of here on time for my 3:15 class, I didn't need something to go wrong with my easiest class day. But Nika found a way.

This morning she didn't want to take a bath, so that was a small fight. Then I asked her if she knew where Sister Wallace lived in the building across the street. Her school let out at 3:15 and my class started at 3:15, so there was no way she could come with me or have anyone take her anywhere. Since she has been to Sister Wallace's it would be easy for her to go there and it being only a half a block away was good too. So I wrote down what her apt number was again just in case she forgot that part and I left it on the table in my room where she would see it when she came back in to get her bag.

I was in the bathroom so I didn't get to ask her a few things when she walked out of the door with out saying anything unlike her Aunt. So since I wasn't feeling well, I just crawled back into bed and checked to make sure that she took the note I wrote for her. It looked like she did.

Then I'm getting ready to go back to bed and my sister calls from St. Kitts. Text me actually. I then told her to stop talking so I could go back to bed. She was asking me stuff about Nika and I'm sure half of that was from the fact that Nika tried to call her first. We tell her that she can't skip taking a bath two days in a row and she calls her mother thousands of miles away.

So I get to school 10 mins until the start of the class and I see that they started early. I guess I was the last to show up so they didn't wait. Fine. I had to change from the first computer I picked because ti wasn't picking up a connection to the domain which is odd since it was jacked in. Once I was on a computer and got it working, I had to move a mouse, I felt great. I was in a computer lab. I felt like I was back where I was suppose to be. Once we got started, I was good except for one minute when I was talking to myself.

Then it all went down hill when our brake came just before 5pm. I realized that I didn't give Sis Wallace my cell number in case something happened. So I called and the first time no one picked up. Then I called back and her son picks up and says that Nika hadn't shown up yet. His mom was worried about Nika since she wasn't there over an hour after school finished but she had to go to the doctor and left the apt about 10 mins before. So I had him check our apt building to see if she took up keys and went home. Not there. Not with the lady next door. He went to the school and I talked with people there, she wasn't there. I sat down for like 10 mins of the last bit of my class since I was on the phone so much with him. It's a darn good thing that it was my first class where he wasn't telling us much and was letting us just get use to the program. I ended up standing in the doorway trying to hear anything before he called me back again and say that he had to go get his kids.

When I walked back to the class, I walked into an empty class to talk on the phone since I didn't want to bother them because the door was left open and it was over. People were outside and I asked my friend what if any home we had. She said that we just had to measure out a room to draw for the next class. I was standing in the door way when he was talking about it. I just didn't know what it was about at the time. I grabbed my stuff, turned off the computer and told the teacher sorry as I just about fled the building so I could go look for her.

The class had ended a bit early and I was coming out of our subway before 6pm. I didn't want to spend time changing trains so I walked down to Nevins and took the 5 train home. I walked down to the apartment building and just before I went in I heard kids playing at the park a block away, so I walked down there thinking that she might be there for some reason. She wasn't there. I walked back to the building and walked through the open front door, walked out the side door where you had the buttons for each of the apts and saw that there were benches and a small play area with steps leading away up and up from the building. I thought maybe she didn't remember what floor Sis Wallace was on and just stayed near the building. It was kinda cool, so I thought I would turn a corner and find her keeping out of the wind. But she wasn't there. I looked for open doors and found two thinking she may be sitting in there. She wasn't. I decided to give the steps a shot. I was just about at the top of one of them when my phone rang.

It was the son. He said that Nika was with his mom. Ha? He said that she saw her when she came out of the elevator and that she took Nika with her when she went to the Doctor's office in Fort Greene. So I was suppose to come by for her after 7. His mom didn't have a cell, so she couldn't tell him that she had Nika until later which could have saved my class and him from running around.

I asked her what she was doing for an hour. She said nothing. I've asked a number of times where did she go after school. It took him 10 mins at the most to get to her school and she said that walked right from the school to the apt building and as she got there, Sister Wallace came out of the elevator and saw her and took her with her. I'm now starting to think that she was just out front unsure of what floor to go to and just stayed there.

She's fine so besides the worry she put us through things are ok.

Phillys remembered her keys today. Ha ray. Monday and Tuesday she forgot them and had to come to my school to get them. I think I said something about that already. She comes home and is ready to make dinner for tomorrow. We get home too late to really cook for that night. I had Nika do her home work, I worked on my chapter for my story. I haven't given any more my home another look, but I woke up today understanding a bit more of what we were doing in my class yesterday. So I did major write and addition to my chapter and I fixed up to the point where I felt ok sending it out to be read over. I read and fixed and re-read and went back for past information and then had to work that in. I wrote almost a whole page of new info after I considered it done and put the heading in for the next chapter. But I couldn't not fix what I needed to fix. So I mailed it off and told who was reading that I want you to really tell me something. I know somethings are off, let me know how off you think they are, give me ideas to fix it, something.

One person said that she was going to be away from internet connection for a few days so I told her I could wait. I should be doing my home work anyway, so it would do me good not to work on my story for a few days. It's a given that my chapters will be slower now that I'm back in school. I could cheat and work on my Inuyasha story. I haven't posted a chapter for that story in months. I'm still tempted to not post anything until break time for that story, but I should get a few lines written up before then. :)

Well that was my Wednesday. it's 4:04 am now because I woke up at 2am because I crashed early and didn't eat anything. I woke up, ate and I was letting it settle before going back to bed. But before I do that, I'll have to iron a fresh shirt for Nika. I might be able to wake up to get it done for her in good time.

*sigh* See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment