May 23, 2006

Cricket Day

I woke up feeling a bit more normal today. Jhodie didn't have work until 1pm today, and I could go looking though my box for those things from Ross and head down to the Labour department and be back before Jhodie had to leave.

But the same reason why Nika was home today, is the same reason why I couldn't go to town. It was a cricket holiday.

Let me quote from the newspaper that we had since Saturday, but didn't read until last night.

"Whether you like Cricket or not, you will have to bow to the major history-making even that is happening on Tuesday 23rd of May when the first One Day Test match comes to Warner Park, St. Kitts when India will battle with the West Indies."

"...Two public holidays have been proclaimed by the Government of the St. Kitts and Nevis to commemorate the Federation's Hosting of the International cricket.

... His Excellency Dr. Sir Cuthbert Sebastian "acting in accordance with the advice of the Cabinet has proclaimed Tuesday 23rd May 2006 and Thursday 22nd June 2006, as public holidays in the federation of St. Kitts and Nevis to commemorate the historical One-Day International and the inauguration of Test match Cricket in St. Kitts and Nevis."

So today sounded as dead as Sunday morning. Nika was getting cabin fever so we went to town about 2pm. Jhodie didn't have work after all. Her client thought that she would want the day off, and forgot to call her and let her know that she could work another day. Jhodie waited for her for over 40 mins at the top of the street. Either which way, this left her free to come to town with Nika and I.

I expected to see more people in town, or at least on Fort Street. Boy was I wrong. There were a few scattered venders here and there, and it looked like a few places were setting up for an after party. There was a stage around the green clock and a tent was going up outside of Bambu's. Jhodie tried to get some Nachos, but the kitchen wasn't open yet. We ended up get something from KFC for lunch, then we come home. I stayed outside and waited for Jhodie and Nika to come back out, since the place was full.

While I was outside I saw Rick, he waved more or less, but we didn’t talk. Also, I think that I was mistaken for a “working girl”. A rental car parked on the other side of the street, and this guy came out and walked over and started asking me questions. If I was waiting for someone, and such. It’s was a bit flattered that they would even consider paying for me. Granted it would have been between two maybe three guys, since that was how many were sharing the rental. But I’m not that desperate yet, and I hope never to get to that point. At lest I now new that that new brown shirt I got made me look good.

We ate some of it there because Nika wanted to, then we went home. Not much happened after that. At least I don't remember anything else happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment