September 07, 2007

I'm So Full...

I ate too much today. That hasn't happened in a while. I hate taste testing things. I wanted to make pumpkin fritters, but I had to go though like 4 changes before I found one that worked.

Today wasn't so bad other than that. Mom didn't wake me up that early, and we didn't do any washing. We just left a bit late to get some fish. We went over to just about the end of this bus route that left us right in the middle of a very jewish neighborhood.

The place that mom went to get the fish from was already closed by the time we got there. We might have gotten there earlier if mom had taken another boss that came by when we were waiting for another one. On the way back to the bus stop, she went into a bakery and picked up some bread that they had baked for Sabbath. I picked up another bread that was only a few cents. Lucky me. It's a plat bread sprinkled with sesame seeds. It's way softer than the ones mom picked up. As we were leaving she asked at time the fish place closed. They didn't even know about the one she was talking about, but the guy called up another one that I think he got his fish at, and called to find out when they were closing. He then told us that they were down Lee St. which was just across the street, and that they were number 149. We started at what? 33? So we had a way to walk. We even thought that we remembered wrong, but we went anyway just to make sure.

The whole walk was their neighborhood. For blocks and blocks. We did find the place. I wasn't very impressed. Maybe because it was at the end of the day on Friday. As for the outside of the store. That part could use some help, but for some reason, I think they wanted it that way. The other fish place didn't look like anything at all from the outside.

We got there in time to get some of the last pieces of fish it looked like. Mom got five pieces of salmon and three pieces of white fish. For some reason she also picked up some smoked slice fish. I think that will be for her and Jhodie.

We then walked for another 5-7 blocks to catch another bus that turned onto Franklyn and brought us home. Jhodie was late picking up Nika. When we got onto the bus, mom asked if we, me and her, weren't going to go buy the toilet paper and something else. But I told her that we could just get them at the supermarket. If anything, we just wanted to get Jhodie home so she could get Nika. For some reason, the school lets out early on Fridays. When we got on the bus we were already late. By the time we made it there for her to go and pick her up, she was already 20 mins late. Mom and I went to the store.

Jhodie didn't see Nika and walked home without her. She called us, then went looking for her again at the school, and Nika was right there waiting for her. The girl is blind, and made mommy think that she just went off walking.

We picked up a few things more then what we first intended, but we didn't have basic things to cook with, and we were out of a few others. Sugar, flour and mayo. We got home and Jhodie and Nika waited for Phillys to come home so they could go and get Nika's uniform for school. Mom played a game or two, and I put up all the shopping and cleaned up the kitchen a bit, then started to cook dinner. I steamed the fish that mom got, since she made some fuss about it. Two of the salmon and on of the white fish. Steamed the last of her corn on the cob with some carrots in her new bamboo steamer. I put some water in her wok and stacked them in. It worked nicely. I just wish that I had turned the stove off abit sooner. I burned water along with what ever dripped out of the fish.

Next I did the wild rice. It was three boxes, and the came with season packets. I didn't like it when was finished. It was a bit odd to me. Maybe next time I won't use the packets. I didn't use as much water as the box said, or the full amount of butter. The last time I did that for something else, it was too salty and the rice was too wet.

I finished the pumpkin fritters last. In the end I changed almost everything from the recipe that I printed out to use. I made changes to it, and later I'll post it.

Mom is home so I have to get off the computer. She went to church and now she is back.

I just checked this thing, so it's ok. Mostly ok anyway.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment