September 07, 2007

Pumpkin Fritters Recipe - Changes

Pumpkin fritters recipe

ingredients

1 cup cooked pumpkin
2 cups flour
1 tea spoon of salt
1 egg
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of sugar
600 ml or 24 oz of cooking oil.


instructions

You will also need a frying pan, round spoon, wooden spoon and a mixing bowl.

Shift and pour the two cups of floor into a bowl, and add the salt, the eggs, milk and mix well using the wooden spoon. Ensure the pumpkin is well cooked and mashed. Then add a cup to the mixture and stir well into the mixture.

Heat the cooking oil and then reduce the heat to moderate. Use the round spoon to scoop out and put in the pan to fry. When they are golden brown on one side, turn to fry on the other side. As you remove be sure to drain off the excess oil so that you don't consume too much fat.

Now that was the recipe that I got. This is what I did to it.

First the pumpkin. I didn't cook it. Didn't have time, and since I knew that it could be down with raw pumpkin, I just grated it fine. I was doing a double batch so I had just over 2 cups when I was done.

Next the flour. I know that I had gone to the store to get floor, but I wanted to finish up what we had left. So I got all other bags with the bits of flour that they had left in them to use. I almost made it to the 4 cups I needed. But not quite. I needed like 1/4 cup more,and I didn't want to open a new bag of flour just for that. So I use the flax seed flour instead.

The salt I cut in about half. I can't deal with the amount of salt in stuff these days.

The eggs and milk got cut down, but if I was doing a single batch, I would use the whole egg, since I wouldn't know how to cut that in half. :)

I had mixed the eggs and milk together, but I didn't put all of it in, in the end. The milk I might have cut down to about half, but I would have to see when I'm doing a single batch. But it felt like I ended up throwing out about a cup of milk, so I think 1/2 is about right.

The sugar was the big point of change. I added the amount of sugar that they said to. I wasn't really looking for a sweet fritter. But I might have been the only one since everyone else said that it needed more sugar. I added sugar two more times, but stopped before it got too sweet for me.

Once I got that figured out, I had find out what amount of oil to use in the pan. I know how much it said to use, but it doesn't really say how deep the oil is suppose to be in your frying pan.

I first tired it really deep, but that didn't seem right when I tried to drop the thick bater in. So I took it down to where it was shallow, but it had space to just lift off of the pan. But mommy said that she didn't like all the oil, so I tried for a fairly dry pan. It was greased, but no real puddle of oil anywhere. I didn't like how those turned out. So I put some in a pan for mom and baked it for her in the toaster oven, and then went back to the second level of oil I had. I like it at that point. The rest came out good.

As for my mom's baked one... well I I kinda burned the top, but it wasn't that bad.

That's it for my adventure in cooking tonight.

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment