June 08, 2009

The Volunteering Thing

Well, I've done the two days that I signed up for. Friday as a catalog person and today as an usher.

The catalog wasn't what I thought it was going to be. In the end, the three of us that they had walking around the sell the catalogs didn't sell any at all. It seem, the thing is almost over, it's a big book, it cost $10 and people mostly came to drink and talk and perhaps eat.

I some how ended being paired with a girl named Sarah. It I would walk up to people, guys actually, and start talking to them, hoping that it would somehow end up at wanting to know more about what movies are playing and stuff about SIFF.

The first person I talked with was a staff member. From him we found out that they sold them at the start of it all last month for half price.

The next person I talked to was a director. He 'invited' me to come see him movie tomorrow at 11am. I'm going, but it seems like I will be going by myself. Tanzi has somewhere else to go. I was going to go too, but I want to see the guy, the movie, the guy, the movie. *grin*

The last person I talked to happened after we told we could hand back the catalogs since no one was buying. He turned out to be a computer programmer. I thought that we were getting along fine until he left with his friend to smoke outside. This is when Sarah, who was still with me, and Tanzi who found me, told me that they were a couple. Once again I found the gay guy. I have no luck.

There was a band and a DJ. I guess I could be glad that the music was there to fill the air with something, but I didn't really care for the band. Tanzi did though. She's going to see them Sunday night. When it was all said and done at midnight, the three of parted ways and I slowly walked home in shoes that were trying to kill me. I even took them off and tried to walk with out them for a while. I got maybe two blocks before I put them back on again.

Then I had to call it quits and said that I would pay for the bus to take me. So we sat down and waited. While we waited for it a guy comes by that Tanzi meet back at the gala and he asked to use her phone. They started talk and were happy, then some one else from the gala comes by and he just had to stop and tell Tanzi how great she looked, and how well she wore the color orange. Even if he is guy, you would think he falling for her all the same. Eventually they said hi to me.

I may have made that sound harsher than it was, but it felt that way when people see her first. Well, I was hoping to get a ride home, and the last guy that stopped to talk said he had to get his car out of the garage since he didn't know when it closed. So I was actually able to walk again by the time we started moving.

The guy that stopped to asked Tanzi to use her phone was Indian and gay also. He walked and talked with her, while the other guy fell back and talked with me most of the way. I was glad not to be completely abandoned.

We parted ways at bar that the Indian guy was going too. He had called up a friend to meet him there, and we meet the friend there. The love feast between the other three continued while the friend and I stood back and watched. He thought that we were all old friends and asked how long we knew each other. He was a little surprised to know, that we only officially knew of each other for maybe an hour if that long. But he did hug me when I told him I was from NY. The guy who stopped to comment on Tanzi's Orange did the same also. It's like they are from there, got stuck out here and missed over there so much. I'm glad I'm going back.

Well Tanzi got numbers and we walked home. My poor feet. I wore those shoes way longer than I wanted to or should have. I got home and changed and crashed. I was just able to get message out to Sarah to ask her if she got home ok, before I almost dropped my phone from starting to fall asleep.

I kept the lights off so I could could go to bed easier. It worked.

Today was the ushering thing. We had to be there for 2:30 and got there on time unlike last night when we got there late.

I was at the door and handed out bailouts to the people who came to watch the movie so they could vote on how well they liked it. I also directed them towards the the room we were showing our film in. There were only two, but our room held like 300 people.

It was a little cold standing there, but I was all smiles and polite and friendly. One or two people didn't want to take one for some reason. The movie that I was there for was an Indian movie about a weaver who steals silk to make a sorry for his daughter. In it's own way it was a drama. Around 100 or so came for that one.

We were only suppose to be there for that one movie, but the other people who had signed up to come for the next one didn't show, so we stayed back to help. This next movie was a comedy, and alot of people wanted to see it. Over 280 people came for that one. BTW it was a Swedish movie and swimming. We were given two more vouchers for staying back and helping.

Tanzi and I were going to walk about and look at West Seattle, but it looked like it was going to rain, so we got the bus home. The first bus we got on, didn't go too far before it stopped and we had get another one. Then we waited down town for our #2 bus, but ended up taking the #3 instead since it was there and it got in with in 4 blocks of our house he said.

We ended up getting off before our stop when Tanzi saw a Haitian place to get food. We waited for over 30 mins. I think they fried the fish when she ordered it, and maybe the pork too. We walked more than 5 blocks to get home and it just reminded me of yesterday when I was walking fast and hard to keep up with first Tanzi and Spencer when we went to get my volunteer badge before the gala, and then trying to get the gala but missing my bus twice.

I decided to cook myself dinner more or less since Tanzi bought herself something. She left me some, but I had already said that I was going to do something with the food I had bought at WholeFoods yesterday when we coming home from getting my badge.

I didn't sample anything and got two 1/4 lbs of something I didn't really like for a number of reasons. So I shredded a carrot and two small potatoes and fried them up lightly in some sesame seed oil and then adding something they called 'curry rice' into into it to finish cook. The rice was so hard, and there was too much pepper in it for me to eat.

After I sure it was cooked through I added two eggs to it there it was alongside what was left of my blacken chicken salad. The cold went with hot and the what I made took away the the bit that was still in the salad from the blacken seasoning.

Oh, I got a text back from Sarah while I was watching the first movie. She said that she just found her phone and that she had gotten home ok. :)

Now I'm done. I think that I'm going to bed. I have to be up early for the other movie. It's mins to midnight now. I know what time is saying. I left my computer on east coast time. :)

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment