March 01, 2006

Jhoy has sent you a recipe

This Epicurious.com recipe:
FRENCH FRIES WITH GRAVY AND CHEESE
has been sent to you from Jhoy

Jhoy wants you to know: I found an intresting one for you to look over. I have a cold, my new bed wasn't that kind to me last night, but I got pics to show it off anyway, you may get them tomorrow. I don't think my desktop at home can access the cam, and I forgot to bring it and the hard drive to work to get stuff off of them. I got somone to go for lunch for me. M is home today with her daughter because she is throwing up and couldn't go to school. She called to see if I was coving her shift. I would, but I'm sick myself, and I don't want to be here sick in this cold place. It's been cold since last night, which is why I have a cold now. I got up and got a second blanket too late it seems. I'm going to have to get off the bus early tonight and get some Halls, and use the Zycam when I get home so I feel a bit better tomorrow. I tried the Zycam, I think it worked, I just didn't keep on using it, or I might not be sick now. I was surprised to find out it was a gel and not a spray. I washed my hair last night, which ended one of the longest times I've gone with out washing my hair. I'm not saying how long. See ya.

You can view the complete recipe online at: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233993

FRENCH FRIES WITH GRAVY AND CHEESE
4 large russet (baking) potatoes
8 cups vegetable oil
3 tablespoons minced shallot
2 (3-inch) sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup beef or veal demi-glace
1 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

5 oz cheese curds or haloumi cheese, coarsely crumbled (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
Peel potatoes, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick sticks and submerge in a bowl of ice and cold water. Rinse potatoes in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Drain in a colander, then spread potatoes in 1 layer on several layers of paper towels and pat very dry.

Heat about 8 cups vegetable oil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.

Cook shallot with thyme in butter in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until shallot is softened and golden, about 2 minutes. Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes, then discard thyme sprigs. While wine reduces, stir together water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Stir 1 cup beef or veal demi-glace into wine and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and return to a boil, then boil until sauce is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in black pepper, salt, and unsalted butter until butter is melted.

Once oil is ready, increase heat to moderate and fry potatoes in 4 batches, stirring occasionally, until deep golden, 5 to 6 minutes per batch, returning oil to 375°F between batches. Transfer fries with a slotted spoon to a baking sheet lined with several layers of dry paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Keep fries warm in oven while frying remaining batches.

Put 4 ovenproof plates in oven, divide fries among plates, and sprinkle with cheese. Heat until cheese is just warmed through, about 2 minutes.

Stir chives into sauce and drizzle over fries. Serve immediately.

Cooks' note:
Sauce, without chives, can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, then chilled, covered.

Gourmet
March 2006

Want to see how other cooks rated and reviewed this recipe? Go to http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233993

All the latest recipes from Bon Appétit and Gourmet being delivered directly to your inbox weekly? If not sign up for the Recipe Flash newsletter.http://www.epicurious.com/specials/newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment