December 24, 2007

Jack - Part One

I was walking up the hill on which my house sat, in the afternoon sun, when I heard a car screech to a halt behind of me as I turned off the main road and into my driveway. I turned around to see Jack’s car. It was a car that you would not have had a hard time recognizing. It looked like something that Germany would be proud of, if it was not colored neon purple. What was he doing here? I just come from my sister’s, and she said that they, Jack and Veronica, were in the middle of a fight. She said, that he told her that he was not going to see her for a week. My sister had predicted three days, till he came back to her. I disagreed and gave him two.

I had always liked him, but now that I knew that he was no longer attached, he seemed way more interesting. I came into work that day to hear him on the phone, talking to one of his friends. He was saying something about him not dealing with his break up with Veronica and downing shots of tequila until he was surprised that he could stand. I was sorry and frighten for him. I did not like the idea of him getting drunk and getting into an accident or worst. A few days later he seemed worst if that was possible. At one point when he had his head in his hands, and looked like he could go no further, and the fact that the computer refused to work with him, did not help. I got up from where I was and walked over to him and I combed my fingers though his hair. What possessed me to do that? I cringe everything it passes though my head. At the time I so happy with myself when I thought that he had actually winded down a bit.

Then, the very next day, I find out that they were still together and that I was fried, there was a very delayed reaction. Don't touch your boss even if you think you are just about his step sister-in-law. They thought that I was in love with him. I ofcourse denied it when she asked me if I was. I was not in love with him. Granted I liked the guy. Given some time and him remaining single, it might have happened, but not now. He had shown himself to be somewhat of a coward, when he sent the message of me not having to come in to work the next day through Veronica. Especially since he was in the next room. I take that back. He is a coward.

So what was he doing here?

I was standing in the middle of my driveway looking at him as he climbed out of his car, and walked towards my gate.

"Hi, Jill.” He said as he waved his shades in my direction just before he put them on.

"Hi Jack and it's Jillian.” I said as I walked over to him. We stood there facing each other, with the gate separating us. I know that I should let him in, but he did not make me want to.

“Come inside Jack.” I said as I opened the gate to let him in. He walked up the steps and waited for me to come and open the door. When I had gotten it opened he let me go in first, then closed it after he got inside. I stood half way across the room from him.

"Is there something that you wanted to talk to me about?” I asked him. He took off his glasses and placed them in the front pocket of his shirt. I was giving off clear signals that I did not want him here. Never mind talk to him. He then looked as if he was trying to concentrate on what he had to say to me. If my heart did not hurt when I looked at him, he would not have had this chance to talk to me, but if he did not say anything soon I’ll tell him that I had somewhere to go and that he had to leave.

His time was ticking away. I was about to look at the clock that hung above his head when I saw him taking something from his back pocket.

“I came by to give this back to you.” From his outstretched hand I saw a yellow piece of paper.

“Thank you.” I said as I took it from him. I did not even unfold it. It was a note that was attached to a poem that I had written years ago for an old boyfriend. It was suppose to help him sleep. He had said that he had lousy nights, so I gave it to him. I dropped it on the table next to me. I then turned back to look at him.

"Yes.” He said.

“What?” I asked him.

“Yes. It worked.” He told me. “Remember. You asked me to tell you if it worked. Well it did. Thanks.” He said. He was looking at me. He had never looked at me. Talked to me while looking some where else, yes. Looked up to see who it was, then went back to what he was doing, yes, but he never looked at me.

“You’re welcome.” I told him. “What are you really doing here?” I asked him. I was looking at him, but his gaze had shifted to my sofa, where he was scraping something off it. “Jack, answer me.” I told him. He looked up at me, then back to my sofa.

“Leave Jack.” I told him as I started to walk pass him and over to the door. As I passed him, he grabbed my arm. I turned cold, and my breathing froze.

“I wanted to talk to you.” He said. “I'm leaving Veronica.” One simple sentience.

“Let go of me Jack.” I told him as I pulled on my arm. I had not looked at him. It seems as if it took a few minutes for my request to reach him. I felt him looking at me, then I felt as he let my arm fall from his hand. I then continued to walk over to the door. I stood in front of the door and thought about what I was doing. I opened the door and looked at him.

"You still want me to leave?” He asked as he came closer to me, and I also hoped, the door.

 

=====================================================================================================

There is the first part. Any comments?? "Yes I'm re-writing my old stories. Some are long and in parts."

No comments:

Post a Comment