December 07, 2005

Fwd: Recipe for Black Cake

Black cake is a cake that all West Indians enjoy. Usually this cake is made in the Christmas season and given as a present to relatives and friends. How could you possibly have Christmas festivities without it?! However, this cake can be enjoyed anytime during the year so go ahead and try making it. I'm sure you'll like it.
Ingredients:

* 3 oz dried fruit, mango, papaya (pawpaw), pineapple, red cherries
* 2 oz raisins, currants, chopped dates
* 3 eggs
* 2 teaspoons (tsp) vanilla (optional)
* 2 tsp browning sauce
* 1-1½ cups dark rum
* 1¼ cups flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
* ½ cup (1 stick) softened butter
* ½ cup chopped pecans
* ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
* ½ tsp ground nutmeg
* ¼ tsp ground cloves
* ¼ tsp salt
* Confectioners sugar icing

Procedure:

1. Finely chop dried mango, papaya (pawpaw), pineapple and red cherries.
2. Place in a large bowl with the remaining fruits.
3. Pour enough rum over to cover; Then cover and allow to stand overnight or in a refrigerator for about one week or longer.
4. Line bottom of 9x5x3 loaf pan with wax paper.
5. Grease paper and sides of pan; Then dust with flour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. In a bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
8. Add eggs one at a time, beating in vanilla, almond extract, and browning sauce if desired.
9. Drain fruits, reserving the rum. Measure ¼ cup rum and reserve remainder (if necessary, add additional rum to make a ¼ cup.
10. Sift together the dry ingredients.
11. Add ingredients to mixer bowl alternatively with the ¼ cup rum, beating just until there is a combined fold in fruits and nuts.
12. Turn into prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
13. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes; Then let it cool on a wire rack.
14. If desired, soak cheesecloth in rum and wrap the cloth around the cake.

Notes:

* Amount of certain ingredients may vary depending on your tastes, such as the amount of rum.

===========================

Other West Indian Dishes

================================

I got that today, but I have to add a few things.

When the cake is just about finished or finished ( you stick a tooth pick in and when it comes out it clean it's finished). Well you pour rum over the cake and put it back in the over oven for about 15 mins. Just to burn out the alcohol out of the rum. Now this does not take away much from the punch of the rum that you will get when you bit into it.

I may come back later with way it's done on St. Kitts. but you have to have this for Christmas.

Well I did take Nika to town today, but she asked to go to that place again. Kidz Zone if you remember. Well I waited to go until after 4pm thinking that when we got there she could be playing with other kids. I was wrong. It was just about as empty as always. So she played on one thing, had a drink then I tried to get her to get something good to eat, but she didn't want anything which turned out to be a good thing. We were suppose to get some sour cream for Jhodie and we ended up getting a big box of juice.

We got home at 6 and like 10 mins later Jhodie walks in.

Everyone has gone into their bed. Nika has been out since 7:30 or so. She woke up with issues, and the issues went away the min Jhodie went to her day job. I was still bad this morning. So my day was mostly a wash other than going to town with Nika this afternoon.

Tonight I mostly watched the first and second part of Triangle with Jhodie on the SciFi network tonight. Both parts were 2 hours long. I'm off to bed more or less now.

It's 1:24am, and I didn't wash my hair like I wanted, and I have to set out my cloths for tomorrow.

Take care. I'll catch up with you later.

I can tell you this. I'm starting to look forward to my two weeks off.

bye.


=======================

http://jhoye.blogspot.com


- There I share my life.

- There I have links to what use to be my life.

- There you can find out what I might want out of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment