January 22, 2005

Not A Bad Day.

It's 1am and I'm mostly awake.

I was going to write and say that I wasn't going to be on line until after my all new shows were finished. But I didn't bother.

Tonight was the start to the season for both StarGates and Battle Star Galactica. I wasn't as glued to the screen as I thought I would have been.

I haven't really watched StarGate since they have been showing re-runs for so long. I only watch re-runs if I missed that ep or I haven't seen the show in a long time. It took me months before I would let myself watch "FarScape" after they dropped it like they did. I was upset and couldn't stand to watch until a few months before they came back with the last two shows, two hours each. And that was like over a year I'm sure since they had dropped the show so badly.

Well back to my day. Oh.. before I do that. One thing that I left out of my very shot note about yesterday. I got the fridge fixed. Well the guy showed up yesterday to fix the fridge. He was suppose to come by since Tuesday afternoon, but he made it by yesterday. The price. I will always talk about the price. I'll be the aunt that rolls her eyes when some says the word bill.

Well he disconnect a faulty wire, and replaced it. It was between the heater and the timer. The wire was about??? 4 inches long maybe? That cost $50, and his lovely time cost $80. He wasn't here 30 mins. I hid in the bedroom. One, I didn't want to get dressed. Two they hate being crowed, and three, my sister knew more about the fridge than I did.

So now my fridge is cold again. The freezer part of the fridge would freeze over and the lower part wouldn't get any cold air and my sister would have to open up the back and defrost it by hand. Either with hot water, or the hair dryer. So now I'm basking in my cold drink from the fridge. :)

Ok... now to really talk about my day.

Well I tried to leave on time like always, but once again it didn't happen. I did get a bus as soon as I got to the top of the street, but it stopped like 4 times before I got a chance to get off, and I walked into my department at 15 past. Not bad, but I felt like showing up at 10 past today. Oh well. On to work.

I tried to hide from E. at the front desk by staying in the back with the guys, but soon she was there to reminded that she was there. She walked in and just about shouted that she was going on lunch. That meant that I had to cover the front desk.

I'm trying to be really good at covering the front desk these days. Anyway. I took the cup that I am now using to drink my water out of since they trashed my bottle on the weekend, to get some water from the water fountain, and there she was talking on the phone. In passing I asked her if she was doing anything on the computer. As much as I wanted to use the web program that was on that computer, I didn't want to kick her out of it unless I had too. She said that she was using it. Actually it wasn't the web program, but there was software on there that I did have to use that wasn't on the other one.

So she came back in like 2 mins later to see me looking at the two computers trying to figure out what I was going to do. She then again told me that she had something going and didn't want to come out and go back into her profile. Fine. I opted to work with the other computer. But before I can make it workable for me, I ended up sorting though cds that I'm pretty sure were E's to do, but didn't do, didn't call the student to tell them there was a problem, or even checked the size of the data they wanted when she took the cds from them in the first place. So I sat there, trying to understand it all while she was out. Oh... when I told her that I needed to use the program that was on "her" computer, she said to just go back to the back room and she'll be back in a little bit. She was gone for almost the whole hour! And I took a message for her too, which she went into the back room to return. I was then left to talk to a student who came back mad because she got an e-mail from me a week after she dropped off the cds saying that we can't use them. She was upset about the week she waisted waiting for the cds when she needed them to study from at home.

So that is when my customer service training kicked in. I didn't blame E for the mess, I agreed that it shouldn't have happened and I tried to resolve it as quickly as I could. I couldn't replace the cds since that wasn't our fault, but I did promise to have the cds done for her that night before closing at 7pm if she brought in replacement cds and one extra. She didn't have enough cds for the data that she wanted. Her cds were being miss read by the computer. You look at them and you can see that the data line was near the edge of the cd, more or less proving/stating that it was full of data, yet when you put the cd in the computer it says that it's empty, until you tried to burn data to it, then it would ask you for another cd saying there wasn't enough space on the current cd.

She said thank you, and went to get some more cds. While she was gone I went back to fixing the cd mess. I e-mailed out like 4 e-mails, and another student came and got back one cd because of one of the e-mails. Another burn job that wasn't checked for size. She asked for data that would take about 7 or so cds but only brought one. As sad as it is, when I'm busy in one part of the department and someone brings a burn job to get done, I don't check the size either. But now seeing the mess and having to clean it up, I'm going to have to make time to check. Sorry if any of you see this.

Ok, while I was there I got a little visit from Dr. St. J. (such a give away), anyway, he is one of the teachers that keep me in business. :) He showed up with three books with post-its sticking out of it. He wanted me to scan a few pictures for him. I smiled, asked one dumb Q, and then asked when he wanted it back when he was leaving. Before he tells me a day, he said that I'm always so quick with getting the jobs done for him that when I could get to it, would be fine.

Back to the cds and e-mails. Ever e-mail that I sent out to students were cc to E and M. The cd burning thing is their gig. I help out when they are behind or if someone for some reason really wants a cd done now. Then I sent out and e-mail that was sent to E and M and was cc to our staff manager. Yesterday he had brought up the issue with how they were doing things and how they needed a system that worked so that when they aren't there we can find the cds when a student shows up asking for it, or to know where to place them when we do get a job request for them to fill.

So now I'm helping/making them get their act together. Mostly E's act, but I won't know if she is even paying me any mind for a week. By then I'll/we'll see what kind of a mess we have our hands.

I was just about finished with all of this. I just sent out the last e-mail with her sitting at the front desk with me, when I got a call from a teacher that I was suppose to help show how to use power point. For those of you who know how to use power point I know that look going across your face. Anyway, I hurry packed up the few things that I had out still, locked the computer, and went to the FDC, where I thought he was. Stopped, looked around, ok. I called his office, he wanted me to come up there. Fine. Took the books that I had take to the FDC to scan and left them at my desk. I told Rick that I was off to see Dr. N.

When I was there I felt like I was talking a little too fast for him, and I tried to slow down, but I don't know how well I did that. But He seemed to have gotten most of it, and like he said, he can call me if he ran into a problem. Since I was up there, I stopped by C's office to ask her about the polices that she was 'fixing' since last year. She had no clue what I was talking about, as in, I should already have the fixed and updated stuff. That wasn't the answer I was looking for. I have to go look over what I do have, and have all parities concerned look over them to make sure that they are up to date. I'll work on that Sat, and Sunday.

Well I came back down stairs and decided on scanning those pics for Dr.St. J. Jen!.. Using the scanner computer to type up pdf files. Smile stuck across my face. Ok, looking to the other side of room, where the other scanner use to be. This is what happened. The IT department guys that did show up for work yesterday had to "move" into the FDC for the day. Rick, moved everything to move in, and when he left, he just left. He didn't put anything back, he just made sure that the computer that I had my music on, was left on, and had a network connection, so I didn't really know anything was wrong back there until I had to use something.

Let's see. He unplugged and move the computer and the scanner connected to that computer. Moved two monitors so they made a nice arch. The two other computers weren't really connected either, and the 2x2 scanner was disconnect from the computer but still plugged in for power. So I had to reconnect three computers, move two of them and had to get on the floor in my skirt to hook back up two of them. My knees didn't like me for doing that. I'm just glad that my black and purple shirt didn't come up looking brown and purple when I had to lay on my side for abit for one of them.

Well I got all of them set up and working. I updated one, found out that the other one needs a new monitor, which I have to write to Ron about, and "my" computer is doing just fine. :)

By that time I didn't need to use the other one anymore. Jen had already left. So I sat down, turned on my music and rocked out as I scanned the pics and tried to fix the books. For some reason, he had stuck paper to pages of the books and never took them out. I got some out since they were hampering my ability to scanning the requested pictures. (big words *smiling*) Some I had to leave the tape stuck to the page because they were ripping. Oh well. I got that all done after 3pm.

Then when I had my last pic to scan, I get a phone call. Collin needs my help with something. Ok, not a bit deal. Then he started talking in code, and I'm thinking, this is so far above my head, that if I could jump I still couldn't reach it. But I said I would help, but couldn't say when he would get any info from me. I then went to do my last pic. Touched them up, then came back to the front desk to finish what I was doing there now that E was gone and I had to man the front desk again.

I was also asked to burn a cd for a student of her personal stuff, but just as I was given the job to do from Collin she showed up, but since it was such little bit of data, he told her to stay and wait for it, then my computer froze and crashed on me. So she went to come back. I had to change computers to get it done. So now I'm back to working on computer like I started 3 hours earlier.

Installed two piece of software, but I couldn't put in the code for one because it would keep crashing on me. That was it, it had to be my profile. No one who was using this computer had these problems other than me. So I logged in as local admin, ran the last program to see if it would cause problems there too. It didn't, it worked fine. Came up, let me enter the code and it was set to go. I copied over stuff from my profile that I needed, then erased the rest. I restarted the computer and logged in under my name to have it rebuild a nice clean profile for me. Then I went back to the admin profile and moved my stuff back then went back to make it look nice in my profile. Then everything worked. Well at least not right away, but they work. :)

Ok.. going to bed. It's now 3am. Going to spell check this, and finish it up tomorrow.

See ya.

Spell checked and it's now 3:30 and the cock are crowing outside. How nice of all 4 of them. :(

Good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment