March 02, 2005

Sugar Cakes. :)

Woohoo
Trinidadian Sugar Cakes


I actually found it.

This, for the most part, is the only "cookie" that is native to St. Kitts, and it looks like it's not even from St. Kitts.

The only thing that we do different here is that I've never heard of cream of tartar in a sugar cake, but then, I don't know what that is.

Next, we use any size coconuts. Really thinly grated, or big chunks of the stuff, and anything in between.

The colours we've had for long time. To get white ones you have to use white sugar. We normally use brown sugar when making them, so they come out brown.

Also, they have started to add ginger in them. Oh, when you take them out of the pot, we used a wooden surface at home, and we flatten them out. All sugar cakes in the island are flat that I have seen.

In the recipe it doesn’t say to flatten them, I don't know if she just forgot that part, or it levels itself out.

I haven't made them in a long time, in fact, I've only made the once. We just buy them from other people. Grin

Well, have fun. You may want to save doing this until the weekend unless you are looking to do something with the kids during the week. We might do some too now that I've thought about it.

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment