October 13, 2004

the darkness came

I thought that today was going to be another slow day for me.

Got to work on time thanks to the husband of the lady that I give tips to. I'm no longer calling them lessons. Lessons would have home work and you and would be taking your own notes.

I had one thing in my head to do other than check the announcements to see if there was anything past due to be taken down. That was to digitize a video for seventh semester. The min I get my hands on it I'm just about attached by a girl that already scares me. There turned out to be about 4 pieces to this tape, so after I digitized it, I had to go and split it up. Now I remember, there was another part that I have to split from everything else and post. I posted the other two. That last piece is so old that it's in black and white. Looks like 1969 film.

Vets need to start making new instructional videos for Vet schools. The stuff they have are so dated.

Well I was happy that I was leaving at 7pm today. The meeting that we had got rid of some of the time for me. Then around 4pm I ran into some work that didn't want to get done.

There is this lady that took over running the Staff newspaper because the other person left to go to school and she wanted to use MS Publisher, but for some reason she didn't get it from someone in our department that she asked, so she went and bought her own software to make the newsletters. Well she made a great newsletter, but she was only one who could see it. So we tried to install something that would let her turn it into a pdf document. I tried two free pieces of software first, but they gave me less than great results. So I told her that tomorrow I'll stop by with the full paid for $4oo or so version of adobe acrobat and install it for her. Then I tried to install MS Publisher for next time. I tried twice, it wouldn't work. The computer would stop reading it when it got so far. So I have to get another cd. Great. I left her a note on her computer and left.

Went down stairs and sat down when I saw that it was saving a part of the movie. So I went outside and sat at the desk to write back to one of the few people that still on occasion decide to write me, and I was 7 lines in when guess what. The lights died on me. And it didn't just go in one shot. No. I slowly went, then came back, then slowly went out then BOP. Out. My luck. I look over at the clock. 6pm Just when I was suppose to go out and turn off all the class room equipment. I'm not happy.
I actually got my little self up and walked outside in the dying light into semi-dark room to try and turn off some equipment. After fiddling around in there for longer than I would like considering I knew where things were, I decided against doing the others. There's my gift to the morning staff they won't have to turn anything on expect the TV's.

Walked back upstairs to find that the new guy hadn't turned off the APC's. It sounded like a cricket migration. I got him to help me turn then off, then I waited until it was time for me to leave.

About and hour into the outage I saw Blade. He was the one in charge of turning on the generators for now. I was going to turn off some of the other equipment when I went out the back to go home when I saw a sign on the back door that reminded me that I had to move a computer from the library's reading room before I went home. So back in I went, left my bag on the desk in the hall, walked into the reading room, and got the computer, and carried it back to my department. Then I tried to leave again.

Mummm.. it's dark. It seems like he only did our part of this building and up by the teacher's offices. Fine. I didn't want to walk back though my depart to leave. I didn't want the power to come back and have it find me in there. So I took the long walk up. The lights came back .... I kept on walking. I got a bus and came home.

That's It. I don't remember. I don't even remember what I had for dinner. Oh.. I'm remembering.. I was yellow rice with liver and potatoes. :) It was good.

Ok, that's it. See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment