October 17, 2004

Slow Day and I Got To Go Home Eearly.

Sorry I'm so late... Had a second black out a few hours ago, and my sister got on the computer before me. She just got off to go to bed.

Anyway.
Made it to work by 10 past, and got right to work. We were told yesterday that we were going to loose power at 4pm. I didn't have much time to get the few things that I needed to do done.

One was to make a copy of that tape that Ron gave me. I was actully making a copy of a tv movie. *shaking head* I have nothing against helping people out, but making a copy of tv moive that came out 6 years ago? maybe less, but that' s so not what our job is. Guess that is why there was no rush on it. Well it's done. It's sitting on the desk next to mine.

Next there was the last set of slides to do for Dr. T. I was happy that I only had like 24 to do, and that was my last set. Ya! :) I even had some time to sort through some pics that I got from a teaher. I'm posting some new pictures of the island on my site this month it looks like. They aren't half bad.

I then got rid of this shutdown program that I was trying out. Not what I was looking for. Then I just got the one that all the others had and set it up. When I was told that we were going to start to leave the computers on about a year ago, I had to have them restart. From all the powerpoints and stuff that the students pull up, it would cut down on the crashes and stuff we got. So I got this little program that restarts every day at 6:30am. Also if you click on the icon in the system try, you can have it restart the computer, log out, shut down, or hibernate.

Well, I looked down at the clock in the system tray and saw that it was almost half past 4 and we still had power. I either didn't have much time lift, or ... something. They desided not to turn off our power after all, they pushed it back a few mins, or hours, or a day for all we knew.

Well I was about to click on something and out it went. I was happy that I only had 3 computers in that room to turn off.

Then I walked out unto the floor and started turning off the APC's. I also asked the new kid to turn off the 6 that went down the middle of the two sets of tables. For us. The other girl who's shift over lapped with mine, helped me to turn off some of the APC's before she left.

I was asked how long I was going to be there for, since as you know, the computers on the floor don't work when we are on genarator power, which came on in about 20 mins after the power went out. I told everyone that asked that I was going to wait until sunset before I called my boss and asked him if I could leave. After all, what was is doing there? There were no students, the only one that was there in one of the break out rooms that had a window, left when it got dark. We have a genarator, but it only kinda powers half of the LRC. One half of the floor and the room gets nothing, the other half gets only lights. The FDC gets lights I think, but that's it. Only the offices on the left side of the floor and server room gets full power from the genarator.

So after rocking out to my music on the speakers for about a hour, and outside was dark, I called up my boss and told him that no one was there, and they can't even see their way to the bathroom unless they get a flashlight from the Library. She he said sure, go home. Just put up a sign first. Fine.

Made up my sign, and left. I also left my torrents going too, and I didn't set my restart program. I want to see how much data was moved when I get in tomorrow.

Called up my sister and asked her is she wanted to go out. She said yes so I told her to get Nika dressed. I then had to waite for like 30 mins for a bus. Three passed me, and they were full. Guess eveyone was going into town for something.

I got home and had to walk down the street that was very dark. I had to block out all light so I could see where I was doing. One light infront of you doesn't help you see where you are going. After about 5 mins we were ready and walked down Adam's Hill into town. We then saw that the power was dotted. It was suppose to be set areas, but it like this house had power, the one across the street didn't, then on the other side of that street there was power. We need new grids.

Walked into town, got side lined by someone I went to school with, then got money off the bank for me, and desided to go buy dinner. We got 3 $5 chicken and fry rice. Walked over to maybe the only offical bus stop on the island and ate some food, tring to kill time until 10pm. Nika got tired and the comfty bus showed up so we went home around 9:30pm.

We were starting to think before we went home that maybe power was back because alot of the people that were hanging out there were all leaving, but on the bus ride back we saw that it wasn't, but we shouldn't have that long of a wait now anyway.

Got home, changed, sat in my sister's room and ate. Nika laid down and went to sleep, then as the wind blew the candle out the lights came back on. I heard the beep from the computer before I saw the street lights coming back on.

I'll spell this tomorrow. Hope I wasn't too bad with my spelling tonight. But I already lost my blog from before, I'm not taking another chance now. Ya, we lost power again for about 30 mins maybe. No not that long. We say it was the rain. If it rains hard enough for long enough, the power will go out for about 30 mins to an hour. It had started to pour 10mins before the lights went out for the second time.

Night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment