November 23, 2004

Fact-toid.

Hi ya.

To late to get into what I did today.

Very condensed version.

My sister tried to wake me up, I kicked out her for another hour and half. Then I got dressed to go walking, ended up buying some things for the house with the money that I got from someone for an old job. I also had to buy a new mouse for the computer. Thought my computer was badly infecting or crashing on me when the right mouse button stopped working. Turned out after 30 mins of trouble shooting and scanning and checking on line for a fix, that part of the mouse was just broken. Got a new one for $15.

Got back home, cleaned some dishes, cleaned the living room and washed some dishes. Showed my uncle how hard it was to find the information he wanted. Turned out the guy that I was looking up information on was my great grand father.

He, my uncle, is Pearl's dad, and he also went to see where she said she was moving into come Friday. More or less, it was a dump, and he is going to find her a better place. Ofcouse it's going to cost her more. I hope she can pay it. All of use want them out the house now.

For about 1:30 or 2am I was doing some exercise. It's now 3am. Mostly upper body and legs. My sister had some water weights that we used. She did them with me and we took turns using the weights.

Now the fact-toid that I found in my mail tonight.

==================================

mental_floss talks turkey for Thanksgiving

Q: What innovation revolutionized turkey meals just over 50 years ago?

A: TV dinners. In 1953, Swanson introduced the very first TV Dinners. They retailed for 98 cents, and the first ones featured turkey, dressing, gravy, peas and potatoes. From then on, people didn't have to leave their televisions in order to enjoy a hot dinner.

Q: What well-known puppet is named for a turkey?

A: Without pulling strings, the answer is "Punch". Shows featuring Punch & Judy have been occurring for over 300 years. Punch's full name is Punchinello, an Italian name that is based on the word pollacena (poll-a-chee-nah), which literally means "turkey pullet." He got the name because his pointed nose resembled the beak of a turkey.

Q: Why don't stores sell turkey eggs?

A: There are several reasons, but the two key factors are that not only do turkeys take longer to lay eggs than chickens do, but they're quite protective of them. Farmers don't like having their fingers pecked at by angry turkeys, so it's best to let the eggs hatch, where they can grow up into big turkeys and end up on someone's Thanksgiving table.

Q: Why is Thanksgiving held the fourth Thursday in November in the U.S.?

A: You can thank big business. That's right -- it was first set nationally as the last Thursday in November, and this worked well until 1939, when Thanksgiving Day would have fallen on November 30. President Franklin Roosevelt, citing pressure from retail groups, declared that the fourth Thursday in November (in that year, November 23) would be more appropriate, since it would allow for an extended holiday season with more shopping days. This caused some temporary backlash, but two years later, the change was made permanent and the public caught on.

=========================================================

For more stuff like that go to http://www.mentalfloss.com/

They also have some other links.

+++++

Newspapers: How much have you read?
http://www.mentalfloss.com/archives/quiz%202003-06-18.htm

Ladylike: Women of the world.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/archives/quiz%202003-05-29.htm

The Renown of Brown: Try to get 5 for 5!
http://www.mentalfloss.com/archives/quiz%202003-05-01.htm

+++++

Well take care. :) I may actually walk it over the deep water port. That is like 2 and a half miles from here I think. Maybe just 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment