November 06, 2004

Saturday... The Rest Of It.

Let's see. What haven't I talked about yet?

Well there is that recovery fight. A student damaged a word document that she was working on by maxing out her memory use so much that the computer did a half-crash thing.

First I had to get the floppy that she was saving her work to, to open. 15 mins later it let me open it. I did a surface scan and it worked. It hasn't worked much lately. I then took it back to her and had her copy the files her folder on the server before anything else happened to the disk. Then we found out that the file that she was working on was corrupted. So much so that it froze word, and you couldn't do anything to it but close it down using Ctrl+Alt+delete.

So for the next 20 or so mins I was trying to get anything to open it so I could re-save it with out the code that got corrupted when the system crashed on her. I even downloaded OpenOffice to see if it could move beyond the corrupted code. But it didn't. It didn't even get to open, when I told it open that file. Finally I tried to just print it with out opening it. The student had said that she didn't need to edit it anymore, she would be happy just having a printed copy. I spent about 15mins trying, then she came in to tell me that I could stop trying now, she will just have to get the notes from someone else. But I gave it one more try, and even though the program crashed, it still printed. I don't know how, I just know that it did.

After that I was on my own for the rest of the shift. M left at 5, and I sat at the desk. I didn't really have anything to do, so between walking the floor and turning off lights and pushing in chairs, I looked up wallpaper for my club. I was posting day. :) I think that I got four nice ones. I also changed the look of my desktop. I also burned a copy of some songs for B, a student that talks to me. I make it sound like it's such an odd thing, and it is. Anyway, he was amazed at the amount of songs you can hold on a cd in mp3 format. I told him that he had space left after all the songs I put on there, along with the copy of two other music cds. A cd can hold 150 give or take if they are 128bit rate. Higher and you hold less, lower bitrate, and you can hold a bit more. He was amazed. :)

I helped out a few other students with logging off problems. The students have a set limit of space that they can take up on the computers. If they go over that, they have to get rid of the extra data to be able to log off. The problem is they don't know to get rid of that information. So we have to do it for them.

I closed up with out incident and I got the second bus home, because the first bus that passed me didn’t want to give me a ride home. Got home ok, I even got off at my block. Jhodie didn't cook so I was left to re-heat leftovers. If my sister wasn't there to cook for me, I would be a bit on the thinner side. I would eat sandwiches, and corn flakes. :) Then I could order salads at work.

Anyway, got to bed later than I wanted to. Around 2am I think. All my shows were pushed an hour because of the daylight saving thing. I saw Inyasha, but it wasn't where I left it. They went back a few eps. For them to get to the point they left me off at, it will be about 2 months. As for Read or Die, I don’t look for it. I'll have to check Monday night. I'll be very happy if they were back to were they 'dropped' me. I'll see.

That was Saturday. ..Oh I forgot the rain. I heard loud thunder when I was down in the LRC for most of the night. By the time I came up to catch a bus, I just got a little wet from drizzle. I did see lighting in the west. Then I thought it was odd of me when I was little to think that we had a different kind of lighting than the ones I would see on tv.

Night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment